The state program “Accessible environment” was accepted by the decree of the government of the Russian Federation №1507-r dated July 16, 2016 and the plan of implementation of the program of tracking young invalids when they are obtaining professional education and supporting their further employment for 2016-2020 in the regions of the Russian Federation was approved.
In the framework of the state program “Accessible environment” the Center of Inclusive Education was established at Kalashnikov ISTU. Students with hearing disabilities study in the program “Designing-technological provision for machine-building productions” based on the above center.
The curriculum was specially adapted for such students, study period of bachelor program was extended by 1 year and is 5 years, additional adaptation disciplines were introduced. The practice-oriented approach have been emphasized, the electronic courses in the disciplines studied with the accent on information visualization have been developed.
Two sign language interpreters and a tutor are involved in the educational process. 15 teachers taking part in teaching this category of students underwent qualification upgrading courses.
The program is targeted at providing special conditions of inclusive educational area for students with hearing disabilities (including girls and women) in the field of engineering education.
The first students were enrolled in 2015 with the participation of All-Russian Society of the Deaf. Some students from the first enrollment were accepted within the target contractual training for Concern “Kalashnikov”. Since 2016 the students have been enrolled following their own initiative. One-third of the students are women.
The classrooms are equipped with all the necessary facilities, including personal FM-systems. Since 2017 the lecture room has been equipped with the induction system. When the mode “induction system” is turned on, hard-of-hearing users can switch their deaf aids to “T” mode and hear the information without external interferences and noises.
The university teachers involved in the educational process for students with hearing disabilities are actively using the elements of electronic learning. The special e-learning server operating on the open and the world most popular platform for developing and conducting e-learning courses – Moodle – was installed at Kalashnikov ISTU to implement the e-learning process.
The documents regulating the educational activity at the university:
- Federal Law No 273-FZ dated 29.12.2012 (rev. dated 21.07.2014) “On education in Russian Federation” (amended and supplemented on 21.10.2014);
- Law on social protection. Ratification of convention on the rights of the disabled dated 03.05.2012;
- President’s decree “On social policy” dated 07.05.2012;
- Directive of the government of Russian Federation dated 15.10.2012;
- Order of Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation No 1309 dated 09.11.2015 “On the approval of the order of providing the accessibility conditions for the disabled of the objects and services rendered in the sphere of education, as well as providing them with the required help” (since January 2016);
- Methodological recommendations of Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation dated 08.04.2014;
- State Program of Russian Federation for 2011 – 2020.
Inclusive (French “inclusif” – comprising, Latin “include” – contain, include) education – the term used to describe the process of teaching people with special needs in educational institutions of general education. Kalashnikov ISTU is the first higher educational institution in Udmurt Republic implementing such project for people with hearing disabilities in higher school but having the experience of the senior partner – Bauman Moscow State Technical University. At then Moscow Mechanical Machine Building Institute a special group for students with hearing disabilities was formed in 1934 already, Bauman University was the first educational institution in which people with hearing disabilities from the whole our country started to be successfully taught engineering.
– I like to study, especially I like technical disciplines, I like mathematics and technical drawing. We have good interpreters, they explain everything clearly. Our group is friendly and cheerful, we are involved in student activities of ISTU, for example, Spring Studentship, I enjoy gesture songs and perform them.
Anna Loseva 3-year student (Zavyalovo, Udmurt Republic):
– Studying is difficult, but I like technical drawing, drawing in computer programs most. Our interpreters help us a lot, teachers explain very well, but not all, it is difficult to contact with some teachers. We also have a good group, if something does not work, there are difficulties – students help each other.
– I like to study. Also I like to participate in the university activities, I’m our group leader, I’m in the student active core.
Maria Sterkhova 2-year student (Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic):
– It’s hard for me to study, very difficult, but I’m doing my best. I think that I’ll work at Izhmash (Kalashnikov Group), I heard they need employees.
Elena Meteleva 1-year student (orphan, graduate of boarding school):
– I enjoy studying, right. Sometimes it is difficult, but teachers help me. The most difficult for me is physics, and the most interesting subject for me is technical drawing, maybe this is what I would like to do in future, to work in this area. For example, now we were given the task to perform an assembly drawing of parts connected by a bolt, screw, pin, it is necessary to make calculations of their lengths and make an assembly drawing in two projections in the graphical editor Compass.
Zhuikova Olga Viktorovna, Head of Department “Technical Drawing and Advertising Technology” of Kalashnikov Izhevsk State Technical University, teacher of descriptive geometry and engineering and computer drawing:
– Today there are five students in the 1-year group of inclusive education receiving a specialty in the field of mechanical engineering technology, one of them is a girl. But we have more girls in the 2- and 3-year groups.
In general, it is accepted that the engineering profession is traditionally for men, but girls cope with the program no worse than boys. We do not have any unsuccessful ones, attendance is one hundred percent, very motivated students. All students are responsible for any job, always do it with desire, with a soul. Very efficient and purposeful guys, the like to work, to learn something new.